Monday, July 25, 2011

The shirt-dress

I recently saw a morning show (by accident, I assure you) that showed a segment on fall fashions.  Considering the temperature has been in the high 90s the past couple of weeks, I'm not exactly in fall fashion mode.  I did see some things that interested me though.  According to morning show reporter lady, the shirt-dress is a big stinkin' deal for fall.  Although the shirt-dress isn't anything new, I can see why it makes a reappearance every few years.  It really works on so many body types and it's quite comfortable.  It can also be worn casually or to work.  What versatility!
After watching the segment, my recreation wheels started turning.  I wondered how I might make a shirt-dress that would work for summer.  First things first: get a really big shirt.

I got the shirt for $3 at the Salvation Army Thrift Store.  It was practically brand new.  It had to be big enough that the length would actually be long enough for a dress.

I did a lot of work on this shirt.  I removed the sleeves immediately.  It is summer after all.

I took in the sides then removed the collar and did a whole lot of pinning.

Initially the shoulders were wide like the picture but I really didn't like how it looked once I was wearing the dress so I made them much more narrow.
I put a dress on underneath the shirt-dress because I still wasn't comfortable with the length :)
Then I put on a belt, of course, and I was done!


Look at me!  I'm wearing the latest fall fashion, according to the morning show reporter lady.

Also, I don't know if you can see the shoes very well but they're adorable and I got them from a thrift store!  I'm really scoring on shoes lately.  I got a couple more pair at a thrift store today that I'll show you soon.

Thanks for sticking around while I took a little break.  Life is really hard sometimes, but creativity helps me keep my sanity.






 

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the shoes!!! And the shirt dress! And I'm glad you're back...we all love your posts, Steph :)
    Love you,
    Leslie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are not transferring ahead in lifestyle then you are transferring backwards. Lifestyle is a voyage, an happening, not one of us is perfect, and not one of us goes in lifestyle without any making mistakes, prefer memorial tattoos.
    digital photography

    ReplyDelete