Over the last week I worked on three simple pieces. I began with my husband's old polo.
I started by soaking it in bleach but that didn't do much but fade the fabric a little. I'm not sure what the problem was but I have more plans for bleaching in the future so I'll have to figure it out. After the bleaching I cut this sucker up!
I cut off most of the sleeves, cut the collar and buttons out completely, and cut some length off the bottom. I actually didn't do any sewing at all. After all the cutting I just put the shirt on backward and I was done.
I'm definitely a fan. I don't know about exposing so much of my back, though. I might be self conscious when I'm out and about. I'll probably wear a tank top underneath the shirt when I leave the house.
Next, I worked on a shirt that I got at an estate sale. It was basically brand new. I really like the colors and the detail on the front.
I'm not sure why I didn't take pictures of the process. I removed the sleeves and part of the collar, and I took the sides in.
This one is a little more work-appropriate than the last shirt. I have to cover all bases in my wardrobe.
Finally, I altered a sweater tank. I imagine that's what its called, anyhow. I got this top from a thrift store for $2.00. I like the crochet detail around the collar, but the shape was a total bummer.
I decided to try something new with this top. I put the top on my dress form and pinned it from the back to take in some width and to add some shape.
After pinning, I took it to the sewing machine and came out with this:
I like the shape that was added to this top and how the neck is now much smaller. I look forward to using this technique again.
That's all for now, but there's much more to come!