Monday, April 11, 2011

Warm weather wear

Spring has arrived!  Its starting to warm up around here.  Well, except for last weekend when it snowed (Crazy California).  But other than that, we're experiencing some elevation in temperature, which means it's time to update the warm weather wear!

Over the last week I worked on three simple pieces.  I began with my husband's old polo.















I started by soaking it in bleach but that didn't do much but fade the fabric a little.  I'm not sure what the problem was but I have more plans for bleaching in the future so I'll have to figure it out.  After the bleaching I cut this sucker up!















I cut off most of the sleeves, cut the collar and buttons out completely, and cut some length off the bottom.  I actually didn't do any sewing at all.  After all the cutting I just put the shirt on backward and I was done.

I'm definitely a fan.  I don't know about exposing so much of my back, though.  I might be self conscious when I'm out and about.  I'll probably wear a tank top underneath the shirt when I leave the house.

Next, I worked on a shirt that I got at an estate sale.  It was basically brand new.  I really like the colors and the detail on the front.

I'm not sure why I didn't take pictures of the process.  I removed the sleeves and part of the collar, and I took the sides in.
Collar down
Collar up

This one is a little more work-appropriate than the last shirt.  I have to cover all bases in my wardrobe.

Finally, I altered a sweater tank.  I imagine that's what its called, anyhow.  I got this top from a thrift store for $2.00.  I like the crochet detail around the collar, but the shape was a total bummer.
I decided to try something new with this top.  I put the top on my dress form and pinned it from the back to take in some width and to add some shape.
After pinning, I took it to the sewing machine and came out with this:
I like the shape that was added to this top and how the neck is now much smaller.  I look forward to using this technique again.

That's all for now, but there's much more to come! 


No comments:

Post a Comment