Sunday, December 12, 2010

Hat makeover!

Today's post is a little picture-heavy.  Bear with me.

I was super excited when I found this dress at a thrift store for $2.00.  Oh the possibilities!



















It wasn't until I got it home and washed that I realized it had this giant stain on the front.















So I knew there really wasn't any possibility for this dress to remain a dress.  But I found a use for the rest of the bottom half when I found this pillbox hat.


















I bought it from an antique store for $6.00.  It had some stains and was coming apart on the inside.  I'm sure that's why it was so inexpensive.  All of the other pillbox hats were at least $10.00.   I wasn't sure what I would do with it at first but once the wheels started turning I got super excited.











The first order of business was to use some tacky glue to reattach the inside band to the hat.

Then I cut the dress in half to use to parts of the fabric that were not stained.
First I used the fabric to cut out a circle and glued it to the top of the hat to cover some of the stains.
I had to make a small slit in the fabric so it would lay flat when I glued it.
Next I made this fancy decoration for the front of the hat.
For the flower/bow I gather a wide strip of black tulle and tied a ribbon in the center.  Then I created a rosette using more fabric from the dress.  Next I sewed a jewel button in the center.  Finally I hot glued it all together and then to the hat.

View from above, as most of you usually see me :)
I am thrilled with how this hat turned out.  I'm not quite sure where I'll be wearing yet, but a hat like this can't be kept in the closet!

7 comments:

  1. I love the hat; you have to find somewhere to wear it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!!!

    One thought I had while reading...
    "No tulle?? hahahaa! No tulle..."
    Remember? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good grief. You are the cutest thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is like the 3rd time I've come back to admire your hat. AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is sooooo cool!
    YOU are sooooo cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HEY!!!! I was there when this little gem caught your eye. You improved on it 1000% Cute & Classy! LOVE it!! And you know how much I love hats :) You & me Steph--we're bringing classic pill boxes back baby!
    Keep up the excellent work!

    ReplyDelete