I was super excited when I found this dress at a thrift store for $2.00. Oh the possibilities!
It wasn't until I got it home and washed that I realized it had this giant stain on the front.
So I knew there really wasn't any possibility for this dress to remain a dress. But I found a use for the rest of the bottom half when I found this pillbox hat.
I bought it from an antique store for $6.00. It had some stains and was coming apart on the inside. I'm sure that's why it was so inexpensive. All of the other pillbox hats were at least $10.00. I wasn't sure what I would do with it at first but once the wheels started turning I got super excited.
The first order of business was to use some tacky glue to reattach the inside band to the hat.
Then I cut the dress in half to use to parts of the fabric that were not stained.
First I used the fabric to cut out a circle and glued it to the top of the hat to cover some of the stains.
I had to make a small slit in the fabric so it would lay flat when I glued it.
Next I made this fancy decoration for the front of the hat.
For the flower/bow I gather a wide strip of black tulle and tied a ribbon in the center. Then I created a rosette using more fabric from the dress. Next I sewed a jewel button in the center. Finally I hot glued it all together and then to the hat.
|View from above, as most of you usually see me :)|
I am thrilled with how this hat turned out. I'm not quite sure where I'll be wearing yet, but a hat like this can't be kept in the closet!