Friday, September 24, 2010

The house dress

This is one of the dresses I picked up at the thrift store for $0.59 on Tuesday.




















This was a BIG dress.  I don't think the picture does it justice.  It was obviously a house dress but I intended to make it an out-of-the-house dress.

First I had to remove the pockets.  They were sewn into the side seam so I had to remove them before taking the dress in at all.
















So, I took the dress in about 3 inches on each side and hemmed it 5 1/2 inches.  I tried it on and it still looked a little too house dress-y so I decided to create a v-neck.
















Once that was done I put the dress back on and added a belt.  Here's what I came up with.





















Not too bad.  It still looks a little more like a house dress than I'd like, but I'm fairly comfortable wearing it outside of the house.  Especially since it's 100 degrees today!

No comments:

Post a Comment