I stood on a chair and it was still about four inches past my feet. It was also homemade and really well crafted, by the way. It was just much more fabric than I could every need in one dress. It's tough to see in the picture, but the fabric is black with tiny blue, white, and pink flowers. This was one of my garage sale finds from last week. Remember? Nine things for $2.00??? Pretty awesome.
So, getting started I definitely needed to take off some of the length. And by "some of the length" I really mean half of the dress.
I'm saving the fabric for another project. There's enough for a skirt, or a top, or even a couple of baby dresses (Not for me. This is not an announcement).
After taking off the length, I took in a few inches on each side. Then I took in the sleeves. I tried keeping the ruffle but it was just a bit too country for my taste so I made short sleeves instead. After hemming the bottom I threw on a black belt and I was ready to go.
I don't love this dress but I still think it turned out pretty well. And for less than a quarter and about an hour of fun I certainly can't complain.